Commitment to public outreach is central in my career and therefore, I am always willing to participate on activities that engage society with the excitement of science. I have even participated in making a children’s coloring book .
Activities in reverse chronological order
Legend: Initiatives Videos and short films General public talks
School visits Opinion editorials Popular science articles Podcast
Full list of outreach activities
- Children’s colouring science book (2021). The project Scientists Meet the Artists joined 12 scientists and 12 illustrators to design a series of drawings for children to colour and learn marine scientific concepts. The book was presented on the World Oceans Day (June 8th). Download the book here, Watch here the presentation day or See children painting
- Infography for a research association (2020). Participation in the iniciative “Que se investiga en Galicia?” of InvestiGal association. Visit Here Download Here
- Open doors day (2019). Participation as an instructor in workshops, conferences and debates for kids and adults in the event Ciencia Sigular of CiMUS (Santiago de Compostela, Spain).
Videos and podcasting (6)
- Institutional video (2022). The Galician initiative ‘Por máis mulleres na ciencia’ consisted on 7 videos recorded to show different roles that women can take in the science of IDIS, from managing or technicians to researchers or leaders. Watch here
- 3MT video (2022). The activity #Cuéntame3min is for scientists of all stages and from all STEM areas to record a 3-minute video explaining their research to a non-specialized audience. Watch here my application, I was awarded the first place See here.
- Research promotional film (2020). Our regional government financed short films of outstanding research projects that were developed in Galicia. Scuba Cancers project in which my doctoral thesis is framed was recorded and I participated with its content preparation and giving a short statement. Watch here
- Research promotional short film (2020). Our research institute (CiMUS) recorded a promotional video with the participation of the authors involved in the Pan-cancer initiative when the results were published in high impact journals; my participation involved content edition, recorded statements and laboratory shots. Watch here
- Research video (2019). ASEICA PhD video competition. Youth scientists talk about their research in three minutes, I reached more than 11,600 views in Twitter. Watch here
- Podcasting (2019). Realization and production team of two episodes of the CiMUSpodcast that was born with the purpose of getting the research carried out at CiMUS to other researchers, students and people not related to the scientific field.
Episode 1 Episode 2
General public talks (4)
- Falling Walls Lab (2022). Falling Walls is an international pitch competition about science, business, politics, arts and society. I was finalist in the Spanish national competition with the talk “Breaking the Walls of Cancer Metastasis”. Watch here
- Pint of Science Festival (2022). PoS is an annual science festival that aims to communicate contemporary scientific developments to the public by bringing scientists to pubs, cafés and other public places to share their research and findings. 9-11 May 2022. I gave the talk “The journey of a cancer cell” at Ink@84, London, United Kingdom. Advertisement
- Science outreach talk (2019). “Understanding metastasis through transmissible cancers” Happy Fridays (Santiago de Compostela, Spain).
- Science outreach talk (2018). “Unravelling cancer evolution using cockles” Café con Sal (Vigo, Spain). Announcement in the news.
School visits (8: 5 Spanish + 3 British)
- British Science Week (2022). BSW is a ten-day celebration of science, technology, engineering and maths that took place between 11-20 March 2022. I gave two 15-min talks addresed to ~100 scholars on a primary school (Rotherfield Primary School, London, UK) on March 14th.
- Women in Science talk (2022). 11 de febrero is a citizen initiative to commemorate the International Day of Women and Girls in Science through activities to visibilize the work of women who are dedicated to STEM areas and create female role models for children who can contribute to the choice of these areas as professional careers. My talk was addresed to students of a public vocational trainning (IES Federica Montseny, Valencia, Spain). More info
- Women in Science talk (2022). Conócelas-ASEICA. A project to encourage girls to study STEM organized by the Spanish Association of Cancer Research. I gave a talk entitled “Una detective del cáncer” to 8-9 years-old scholars of a public primary school (CEIP Monte dos Postes, Santiago de Compostela, Spain). Pictures
- Skype a Scientist (2021). Beaulieu Convent School (Jersey, UK). In pandemic time, this project is connecting real-life scientists with classrooms across the globe. Class picture vs Scientist picture
- Women in STEM (2021). Acland Burghley School (London, UK). School’s networking event for Year 9 female students.
- High school talk (2021). Semana de orientación laboral. One hour talking with high school students about their career orientation focusing on STEM and particularly in biology, biotechnology, and biochemistry. Given at Colegio M. Peleteiro (Santiago de Compostela, Spain).
- Women in Science talk (2021). Conócelas-ASEICA. A project to encourage girls to study STEM organized by the Spanish Association of Cancer Research. I gave a talk entitled “¿Qué nos puede enseñar un berberecho sobre el cáncer?” to high school scholars (Colegio M. Peleteiro, Santiago de Compostela, Spain). Pictures
- Workshop for children (2019). Monitor of activities for pupils aged 8-10 organized for 9 primary-school classes in the International DNA Day (Colegio Compañía de María, Santiago de Compostela, Spain). Picture Here
Opinion editorials (2) and popular science articles (5)
- Opinion editorial (2022). Brief opinion article for the regional newspaper La Voz de Galicia entitled “El cáncer se contagia en el mar”. La Voz de Galicia (20/01/2022, page 13).
- Popular science article (2021). Overview about cancers that can be contagious. Article entitled “El cáncer se puede contagiar (al menos en animales)” published in The Conversation(open access news source). Read Here
- Opinion editorial (2021). Brief opinion article for the regional newspaper La Voz de Galicia entitled “Virus y cancer: una pareja peligrosa”. La Voz de Galicia (20/12/2021, page 11).
- Institutional bulletin (2021). Brief article to encourage doctoral students to plan international research stays entitled “Como che vai na túa estadía?” nEDIUS 3:15. Download here
- Popular science blog article (2020). The story of how my master thesis gave me the opportunity to publish my first ever paper in a high-impact journal. Article entitled “How my master’s thesis on jumping genes became part of an article in Nature” published in The Cancer Researcher(EACR online magazine). Read Here
- Popular science article (2019). “Las claves de las metástasis enterradas en la arena.” Encuentros en la Biología 169: 5–7. ISBN 2254-0296. Download here
- Institutional blog article (2018). “Cáncer transmisible de bivalvos para desentrañar la evolución del cáncer.” Océano Ecimat. Read Here